Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Watch Out American Idol!

American Idol has some new competition as the fresh, exciting show The Voice airs its third episode tonight! Have you seen The Voice? Does it keep you entertained as much as it does me?

To be honest, I am not a fan of American Idol (for those of you who are gasping in shock, I might as well tell you that I also have never seen an episode of Glee). I suppose because I'm a singer, everyone and their brother thinks I haven't lived until I've auditioned for American Idol. Camping out in a long line of singers and hoping for a chance to belt out a line or two in front of a few producers is not my idea of fun.

But the idea behind The Voice intrigued me from the first commercial. Singers have the chance to audition in front of four vocal coaches who have their backs turned to the performers. If one of the vocal coaches likes what they hear, they can press a large red button that turns their chair around. If more than one vocal coach presses their button, the singer gets to choose which vocal coach he or she will work with. What a fantastic concept! Finally a show that showcases talent in the best possible way. I should mention that the vocal coaches are four famous recording artists: Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton, and Adam Levine. I appreciate that the producers of this show chose to use artists who each have a unique background in the popular music scene.

Another thing that differentiates The Voice from American Idol is that the singers were already pre-auditioned and each one that sang in the past two weeks is actually good. No more suffering through bad and ridiculously horrible singers who simply want their fifteen minutes of fame; although I will admit, that is part of American Idol's appeal to many viewers.

The voice teacher in me can't wait to see how each of the famous vocal coaches instructs his or her team on The Voice. And even though it will air on my television shortly after I arrive home from a three hour choir rehearsal, I will still sit engrossed. That is how much I love music!

If you're looking for a fresh reality show with some great and unusual talent, check out The Voice, Tuesday nights on NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment