Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Making of a Music Room

There are two places in my house that I go when I need to be creative: the first place is my office, a small room that is built into our master bedroom. This is where I currently sit, writing this post.

The other place is my beloved music room, which just experienced a facelift! When my husband and I were looking for houses and found this one, there was a great bonus room towards the front of the house. The moment I saw it, I knew it would be my music room. It was a long-time dream come true. I remember when I was a kid, riding in the back seat of my parents' car and day-dreaming about having a house of my own someday. I would look at each house in whatever neighborhood we were currently passing through and decide if I could live there or not. The deciding factor: could I imagine a piano peeking out of the front window? If not, I knew I could never live in that particular house!

So a music room in my real-life grown-up house was non-negotiable, and thank God, my husband agreed! We moved into our house in 2008, and the first piece of furniture that was delivered was my beautiful baby grand piano, my wedding present from my husband. Unfortunately though, the music room didn't get much work done to it to help define it as a creative space.

Two weeks ago was my birthday, and my husband and I went to Ikea to get supplies to redesign my music room and make it what it is today. I never knew how handy my husband was until he spent the weekend putting together my new and improved music room! Voila! Here are some pictures of my new space!


This first picture is the first view of my music room you'll see when you walk in. My grand piano takes center stage, but the curtains really make this space! It's amazing how a few panels of fabric can change a room!



Turning to the right of my piano is my new built-in space that houses my keyboard and shelving and storage for music books. This cozy space is also a great place to write as well.


These are my handy "magazine racks" that house my piano and vocal books. I have been needing these for so long and actually held off on buying new material because I had no place to store it!




Finally, I like to make little signs with one word phrases to help me stay on task when I'm spending time in my music room. This is only one of them, but I also have signs that say "music", and "believe", and "inspire".

Now I appreciate my music room even more because it really has taken my creativity to new heights! I enjoy teaching students in there or even just sitting down to log in some good old practice every once in a while.

Do you have a space where you go to be creative? I hope it is filled with good things and little reminders that inspire your own creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment