Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week Three: A Singing Space

(This post is part 3 of 10 in my series highlighting my new book, Ten Weeks to a Better Voice, available here .)

Week Three is all about gathering the materials you need to enhance your singing and also about establishing a space where you can "escape" to make music.

Never underestimate the importance of ambiance when you want to get some great practice in.  It's nice to have a place that you can call your own (even if it's just a couple of square feet) for being creative.  Once you've established your music space, fill it with items that motivate you to sing.  You could put a binder full of lyrics on a small table somewhere close and display a few of your favorite CDs or an MP3 player and headphones.  Some people even like to display inspirational sayings and quotes to help them get motivated.  Whatever makes you want to use your creative space-- put it in there!

I have three singing spaces that I visit each week.  Only one is located in my house.  My music room is where I teach lessons each week, learn songs for church, warm-up my voice, and write and produce music.  For a closer look at my music room, you can check out a previous post, the Making of a Music Room here.

My second space for creating and practicing music is my classroom at the elementary school where I teach music, which is really just a portable building.  When I first found out I would be teaching in a portable, I'll admit, I was a little disappointed, but I quickly grew attached to my little building which has affectionately become know as the "Music Castle" (you know, because I am the King and all!).



I like to keep the space open in the middle so students can easily move to the floor if we're doing an instrument activity.  Or they can stay seated in the chairs if we're singing, reading, or writing.  It may not look like much, but a lot of music is created and practiced between these four walls!




The third singing space I visit each week is the choir practice room at my church.  Sometimes we hold rehearsal in different rooms, depending on other events scheduled at the church on any given week, but as long as I have a keyboard, lyrics, an MP3 player with the songs, and chairs for all the choir members, I can practice anywhere.  During our choir rehearsal, we start out with warm-ups for about 5-10 minutes, then begin rehearsing the songs for the upcoming Sunday service and we work in any new music we need to learn as well.

Each of these spaces is different and each of them contributes to my life as a musician.  Of course, you really only need one great space to practice music in.  What's important is that you establish a place to practice and you visit there often, several times per week.  It needs to be a place, no matter how big or small that motivates you to S-I-N-G!

If you want more information on creating a singing space, be sure to pick up a copy of my book, Ten Weeks to a Better Voice on Amazon. Through August the 31st, you can get the eBook for a discounted price!

Happy Singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment