Friday, March 4, 2016

Success is Not an Isolated Event

This past week, I experienced what I consider to be a successful moment in my music career.  I found out from my publicist that the first radio stations had decided to add 3 of my songs from my new EP Make Something Happen into their rotation of songs.

When I got that email, I was overjoyed.  I mean, what singer doesn't dream of writing songs and actually getting them played on the radio?

However, the more I started thinking about it, the more I realized that this success did not come all by itself.  The station manager did not magically decide to play some random Christian singer's music from Port Orange, Florida.  No, there were a lot of steps that got me to this place of experiencing this success.

1. I had to write the songs that are now going to be played.
2. I had to find the right people (producer, engineer, musicians, etc.) to help me produce the product.
3.  I had to find the funding to produce the product.
4.  I had to follow through and actually see the product come to completion.
5.  I had to choose a publicist to help me spread my message.
6.  I had to spend a lot of time honing my biography and writing the "stories behind the songs".

I've come to realize that every success we experience in life is usually not an isolated event.  Meaning, we've often had lots of little successes along the way that we don't think about actually contributing to the larger success.



Think of it this way: You don't just decide to run a marathon and then go do it.  You have to put in the time of actually training for the run beforehand and lots of little runs end up contributing to the overall goal.

Likewise, as a singer, you don't just go out and have a rockin' performance that everyone raves about without putting in the time and effort to hone your musical skills.

So, here's what I'd like to ask you to do.  If you're working towards a larger success, whatever that might be, start counting and celebrating all of the little successes that will get you to that goal.  Want to make an album?  Spend some time writing a new song that you can't wait to share with the world.  Want to sing a solo but feel scared?  Count the success of joining and singing in your church choir first.

Once you realize that success is not an isolated event, you will begin to celebrate all of life's little moments that will get you to any level of success that you desire.  Pretty soon, you will be unstoppable as you go from success to success and start to experience your wildest dreams coming true.

Happy Singing and Happy Living,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment